Acronym
R+C
Category
Company
N. CA Established
1958
Significance to Structural Engineering History in Northern California

Established in 1960 and based in San Francisco, Rutherford + Chekene (R+C) is one of California’s leading engineering practices providing structural and geotechnical engineering.  R+C provides services in multiple market sectors including aviation, civic/cultural, office, healthcare, higher education, residential, science/technology, and sports recreation.  The company consistently gains recognition from its industry peers with regional and national awards for its innovative design projects.

R+C was founded by structural engineers John Rutherford and Constantine Chekene in 1960 with John Rutherford as the President of the company.  Constantine Chekene would become the President in 1975.  The company’s first hire was Peter Bank in 1961, Harold A. Davis joined in 1964, followed by William Homes in 1965, Mark Saunders in 1969, and Richard Niewiarowski in 1972.

R+C notable projects in Northern California includes the Monterey Bay Aquarium, renovation of Hearst Memorial Mining Building at UC Berkeley, the new M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, the renovation of the San Francisco Ferry Building, Pixar Animation Studios in Emeryville, the new Exploratorium, and the Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art at UC Davis.  R+C also provided geotechnical services for renovation of Hearst Memorial Mining Building, the new California Academy of Sciences, the new Stanford Hospital, and the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Expansion.

Related Engineer(s)
  • John Rutherford
  • Constantine Chekene
  • Mark Saunders
  • Alan Kren
  • William Holmes
  • Peter Bank
  • Richard Niewiarowski
  • Harold A. Davis
External Links