Organizations / Arup
Arup was founded in 1946 as a consulting engineering firm by Sir Ove Arup in London. Right from the start, Arup was known for its close collaborations with leading architects like Renzo Piano, Richard Rogers and Norman Foster.
By 1976, Arup’s reputation had become truly global with the completion of the Sydney Opera House. By this time, the firm had opened offices in Northern Europe, Southern Africa, South East Asia and Australia. The Arup San Francisco office was founded in 1985 and was the first Arup office in the Americas. Its breadth of expertise includes offshore engineering, acoustics, facades, and specialist skills such as impact, blast, risk and seismic engineering, to niche areas such as designing transportation containers for nuclear waste.
Arup is known for contributions to structural engineering in the Bay Area such as the REDi rating system (resilient design), LEED Platinum SF Public Utilities Commission Headquarters, Doyle Drive Replacement, Concord Naval Weapons Station Reuse, Transbay Transit Center, Zuckerberg SF General Hospital, SF Museum of Modern Art, UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay, M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, California Academy of Sciences and Las Vegas High Roller observation wheel.